The principal objective of this position is to architect and provide expert level support and strategy for the production VMware virtualization environment.
The primary responsibility of the position is to support & manage the production VMware environment, maintain proactive performance monitoring of the environment utilizing specific monitoring tools and play an active role in the day-to-day support activities, administration, and projects associated with VMware / VDI infrastructure /applications.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for designing and supporting IT Vortex’s customer-facing virtualization environment (VMware vSphere environment including vCenter, ESXi, HCX, NSX, and more)
- Proactively monitor the virtual environment for capacity, stress, risk, and workload and take necessary remediation steps.
- Continuously monitor the security posture of the environment
- Interface with vendors and internal global teams to ensure the environment conforms to the current standards.
- Manage Business Continuance in relation to Disaster Recovery.
- Maintain high system reliability, availability, and resiliency levels.
- Provide 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level support for the production environments
- Perform system upgrades and mandatory security/OS patching.
- Liaise with application support teams to gather requirements, design, and deploy standard systems
- Provide 24*7 On-call support based on rotation within the team
- Perform thorough morning checks on all critical applications using existing tools or scripts
- Strictly abide and follow the company policy and procedures pertaining to change and incident management
- Responsible for ensuring that all systems are deployed consistent with group standards and best practices
- Incident and Problem management: take ownership and work with team to resolve production related issues
- Follow groups standard security practices within the environment
- Maintain an accurate and current hardware and infrastructure software inventory
Minimum required qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field
- 5-10 years managing VMWare Engineering and Support teams
- Expert knowledge of VMWare components and technologies such as vCenter, ESXi, Horizon, vSAN, HCX, vCD, and NSX
- Good working knowledge of VMware APIs and knowledge of at least one scripting technology
- Good knowledge of the SAN / EMC storage
- Good knowledge of iSCSI protocol
- Good knowledge of networking technology (i.e. function of TCP/IP, SNMP) subnetting and routing.
- Good knowledge of implementation of SSL Certificates
- Working knowledge of Active Directory
- Working knowledge of various database technologies (MS SQL, etc.) as they pertain to Virtualized environments.
- Good working knowledge of the industry and hyper-converged hardware (e.g. vxRail)
- Knowledge of relational databases such as SQL, Postgres, MySQL along with MQ Series.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Service-oriented, positive, committed, and enthusiastic team player.
- VMware VCAP-DCV Deploy or VCAP-DCV Design Certifications would be a plus